Monday 26 January 2009

NVQ Business and Administration Students Display their Culinary Skills on their Enrichment Programme

Mark’s cooking adventure

Hello I am doing a NVQ Level 1 in Business administration at Lewisham College. I am enjoying the course so far and hope to gain a qualification at the end of my course.

Recently I took part in an enrichment class doing cooking at the college and that involved cutting up onions, carrots, preparing vegetable, browning the mince and doing a bowl of spaghetti bolognaise.

I found it quite easy to do because I do cooking at home and I like doing spaghetti bolognaise when I am hungry and also it is good for your health and gives you a lot of energy. Also it is better then going out and getting a take away every time which it is bad for your health.

It was my first time doing cooking it at my college and it was a worthy and good experience because I learnt how to cook with different Ingredients and which I had never done before.

Also I feel that the college should do these types of experiment for younger students and foreign students in the college because it will help them in the future to cook different types of food. It will also give you more confidence cooking different types of food and using different ingredients. It only takes practice the more practice you have the better cooker you will be and also you will be able to cook for family and friends.

Becky’s Cooking Adventure

In our Business Administration class there is a group called the Enrichment class which consists of a mixture of boys and girls aged 16 to 18. We had a cooking adventure to do. Our adventure was to cook a bowl of spaghetti bolognaise from scratch as you can see in the pictures.

All the ingredients were bought by our tutor Sue and we had to pick out what ingredients we wanted to use. We were not allowed to use the sauce mixture that you get from the shops.


At first we chopped and cooked the vegetables, we added the garlic and mince meat. We then made the sauce which was tomato puree and water, including peppers and onion if we wished to. We then cooked the spaghetti once that was done, put the mince and spaghetti into a container and added parmesan cheese.

For me, the cooking experience was strange as I have never cooked a meal in my life - so it was a great way of learning how to cook because I had all my friends around me to help and now know how to cook spaghetti bolognaise!

No comments: